6.08.2009

deepthoughts

"I really felt that I was on my own,’’ Ms. Kawakubo says. ‘‘I never felt my work had anything to do with being a woman. I am not a feminist. I was never interested in any movement as such. I just decided to make a company built around creation, and with creation as my sword, I could fight the battles I wanted to fight.’’
‘‘I start every collection with one word,’’ Ms. Kawakubo says. ‘‘I can never remember where this one word came from. I never start a collection with some historical, social, cultural or any other concrete reference or memory. After I find the word, I then do not develop it in any logical way. I deliberately avoid any order to the thought process after finding the word and instead think about the opposite of the word, or something different to it, or behind it.’’

No comments: